'Generate Your Own Collagen Now!', by BioSil
Did you know that collagen diminishes by 1% per year starting at age 21, with skin thickness decreasing by 7% every decade? (1,2) The loss accelerates after menopause, with women losing as much as 30% of their skin collagen, and experiencing corresponding decreases in skin elasticity as well as bone density. The good news is that collagen, the body’s beauty protein, can be replenished! While there are many options for collagen supplementation, there is an even better one that prompts your body to make its own collagen.
Silicon, in addition to being the third most abundant trace element in the human body, plays an important role in making collagen. (3) The highest levels of silicon are found in the hair, nails, and epidermis, which makes sense given its role in collagen production. (3) While silicon is available from dietary sources, it relies on the body’s ability to convert it to orthosilicic acid (OSA), a process that is stomach-acid-dependent. (3) Stomach acid varies extensively among people, so while some may easily absorb dietary silicon, others may not. This is where BioSil™ comes in.
BioSil is an exhaustively researched, patented form of orthosilicic acid (ch-OSA®). Stabilized with choline, it is considered the most bioavailable form of silicon, as it doesn’t rely on stomach acid for absorption. In fact, in one study, the ch-OSA group had a 90% increase in blood silicon levels. (4) This allowed the silicon to do what it does best – support collagen production. Unlike traditional collagen supplements, BioSil acts as a collagen generator, allowing the body to make its own collagen. It also helps to protect existing collagen from degradation, in addition to increasing keratin and elastin. This helps with thicker and stronger hair, improved skin elasticity, fewer wrinkles and fine lines, and stronger nails.
Another benefit of BioSil is that it is plant-based and completely vegan. While direct collagen supplements come from animal sources, vegan BioSil (ch-OSA) helps the body make its own collagen, with results comparable to collagen supplements. In fact, it is clinically proven to increase body collagen. (4,5) In a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial, 50 women ages 40–65 were given 10 mg of ch-OSA or a placebo, twice daily. After 20 weeks of treatment, the ch-OSA group experienced a 30% reduction in fine lines and wrinkles and an 89% improvement in skin elasticity, compared to the placebo group. (4)
Collagen levels are compromised by aging, and there are more choices than ever before to replenish collagen levels. The repercussions of age-related collagen loss go beyond just skin, hair, and nails – collagen is also vital to the health of bones, joints, and connective tissue. BioSil, a stabilized form of silicon (ch-OSA), is a plant-based, vegan supplement that you can feel good about. It turns on the body’s fibroblasts, allowing the body to become its own collagen generator, just like nature intended – and helps support healthy skin, hair, and nails.
- Mohiuddin AK. Skin aging & modern edge anti-aging strategies. Int J Dermatol Skin Care. 2019; 1:8-62.
- Ganceviciene R, Ailaterini L, Theodoridis A, et al. Skin anti-aging strategies. Dermatoendocrinol. 2012; 4(3):308-19.
- Jurkić LM, Cepanec I, Pavelić SK, et al. Biological and therapeutic effects of ortho-silicic acid and some ortho-silicic acid-releasing compounds: New perspectives for therapy. Nutr Metab. 2013; 10:2-12.
- Barel A, Calomme M, Timchenko A, et al. Effect of oral intake of choline-stabilized orthosilicic acid on skin, nails and hair in women with photodamaged skin. Arch Dermatol Res. 2005; 297(4):147-53.
- Wicket RR, Kossmann E, Barel A, et al. Effect of oral intake of choline-stabilized orthosilicic acid on hair tensile strength and morphology in women with fine hair. Arch Dermatol Res. 2007; 299(10):499-505.