Baby teething can be a trying time not only for the infant but also for its parents. Fortunately, there are various solutions to help young parents get through this essential stage of a child’s life more serenely.
A natural phase in the development of the infant, teething usually starts around 6 months 1. But what exactly is teething? What are the signs and the actions that parents can take to relieve their baby during this period?
Teething can extend into a long period presenting multiple phases
Teething is a long phase starting at around 6 months and lasting up to around 36 months 2 and is definitely frustrating for not only the baby but for its parents. As a result, it is crucial to know and understand the symptoms properly and know how to cope with this painful stage.
How to recognize the symptoms of baby teething?
According to naturopathic Doctor Stephanie Yaremko 3-4, teething symptoms are easy to recognize. Sure signs that the teething process has begun are usually painful gums, restlessness, irritability, diarrhea, rosy cheeks, excessive drooling and nighttime wakefulness.
How to sooth baby’s teething symptoms?
Fortunately, there are solutions to help your infant go smoothly through these ailments.
Here are some useful tips :
- Let your baby nibble on a refrigerated but not frozen ring. Choose solid teething rings, made of a safe material (silicone for example)
- Lightly massage the gums with a semi-frozen washcloth
- Make sure your child feels safe by multiplying cuddles and hugs. These can go a long way to calm your child down and contribute to its well-being
- Since diarrhea is often associated with teething, make sure your baby’s diaper is comfortable and dry by changing it frequently.
- Prevent diaper rash by using an effective diaper cream
- Give your baby a warm bath which can calm his annoyance
Discover Camilia*: a great solution to relieve baby’s teething ailments
Developed for babies and toddlers 1 to 30 months, Boiron’s Camilia relieves pain, restlessness, irritability and diarrhea due to teething. A homeopathic medicine, offered in convenient and hygienic sterile water-based pre-measured drinkable unit-doses, Camilia contains no sugar, no dye, no benzocaine and no preservatives.
*This homeopathic medicine may not be suitable for everyone. Always read and follow the label.
A bit of Tender Loving Care (TLC) goes a long way for baby’s well-being Going through baby’s teething is not always easy. But when parents have the right tools, information and right solutions, this period can really become a bonding experience.
3 Dr. Stephanie Yaremko — Grassroots Naturopathic Medicine
4 https://youtu.be/9W-lmObxL8Q – Video – Help! My baby is teething webinar – The webinar Wellness Parenting Tips series – 2020