Getting a good night's sleep should not be a short-term goal, it does take some work on our part. Swallowing an over-the-counter sleeping pill is usually just an easy temporary fix and is not necessarily suited for everyone.
Many people don’t realize that our daily routine plays an integral part of our ability to fall asleep, stay asleep and achieve good quality sleep.
The following are tips and strategies that the entire family can follow to create a healthy sleep-wake cycle, boost the immune system, increase feelings of calmness, help focus, improve digestion and enhance both mental and physical health!
- Waking up and going to bed at roughly the same time everyday creates a healthy routine which can “reprogram” your brain and body. The body craves consistency!
- Eating meals at roughly the same time daily, balances blood sugar levels to prevent mood fluctuations throughout the day and night. Eating too late in the evening, especially heavy meals, can overwork your digestive system and impair rest, recovery and healing.
- Limiting the consumption of energy drinks, coffee, tea, pop, alcohol or high sugared food and drinks will allow your body and mind to rest when evening arrives.
- Reducing or eliminating screen-time in the evening is proven to help sleep cycles.
- Incorporate 20 minutes a day for physical activities such as walking, swimming, yoga or team sports. Activities don’t have to be strenuous, just move your body!
- Keep your bedroom cool and dark for optimal sleeping conditions.
- Incorporate stress reducing tools such as meditation, prayer, art, music, hobbies and counselling.
- Get some sunshine and fresh air daily.
- Aromatherapy such as Lavender, Chamomile and Mandarin can help promote relaxation.
- Using supplements such as Theanine, Magnesium and B-Complex during the day, and Veeva Sleep Formula in the evening can give your body the help it may require .