- Qualities: Calming, Warm, Helps aid in digestion
Therapeutic: carminative/antispasmodic for symptomatic relief of digestive
- Aroma: Sweet spicy, fresh scent with a faint balsamic woody back note and a lasting sweetness
- Perfume Note: Top
- Origin: India/Egypt
- Cultivation Method: Steam Distilled
Main Constituents: Methyl chavicol: 70-78%. Linalool: 17-22%.
Plant Part: Leaves.
Processing Method: Steam Distilled
Description / Color / Consistency: This is almost colorless to a pale amber colour with a thin consistency.
Aromatic Summary / Note / Strength of Aroma: Basil has a sweet, spicy, fresh scent with a faint balsamic woody back note and a lasting sweetness that makes for a strong top note.
Blends With: Bergamot, Clary Sage, Clove Bud, Lime, Eucalyptus, Juniper, Lemon, Neroli, and Rosemary.
Recommended Use or Purpose:
- Used in aromatherapy as a nervine/calmative
- Used in aromatherapy as a carminative/antispasmodic for symptomatic relief of digestive discomfort
- Used in aromatherapy to help relieve colds/cough
- Used in aromatherapy to help relieve headache
Directions of Use: Not for oral use. Avoid contact with eyes and mucous membranes; if this happens, rinse thoroughly with vegetable oil. Do not use essential oils undiluted.
- For baths; Add 5 — 25 drops of undiluted essential oil with the same amount of shampoo or liquid soap before adding into the bath. Mix the water gently. For maximum benefit, remain in the bath for 10 minutes. Use 2 drops of undiluted essential oil the first time and increase by 1 drop per bath up to a maximum of 8 drops, once daily.
- For direct inhalation; Apply 5 — 10 drops of undiluted essential oil to a handkerchief/tissue and inhale occasionally, up to3 times per day.
- For steam inhalation; Add 5 — 10 drops of undiluted essential oil to a bowl of steaming water/facial steamer. Inhale slowly and deeply for 5 to 10 minutes, up to 3 times per day.
- For compresses; Add 10 drops of undiluted essential oil to 500 ml of warm water in a bottle. Mix by shaking the bottle and immediately soak the compress. Squeeze lightly, apply the compress to the skin, and cover with clothes and/or toweling. Leave for 2 to 4 hours, up to 3 times per day.
Essential oils are powerful plant essences that can be used in many ways. From massage oils to room sprays, to skincare to aromatherapeutic blends, these oils are as versatile as they are diverse. When using essential oils by breathing/inhaling their aromas, they are normally used at full strength. Yet when applying them directly on the skin, the large majority of them MUST be diluted. Because essential oils are so powerful, we do not recommend using them internally.
Essential oils are also the basis of natural perfumery and can be used to make aromatic, bespoke blends for every individual who wishes to embark into the world of natural essences.
Storage: Always keep tightly sealed in a cool, dark place. Heat, oxygen, and light degrade the product.
General Precautions: Keep out of reach of children. Avoid contact with eyes. In general, when using essential oils, use caution when dealing with epilepsy and asthma. We highly recommend caution using essential oils during pregnancy. Avoid the use of essential oils in the first trimester.
General Usage: Please avoid the use of essential oils with babies. Before using essential oils with children, ensure each oil is age appropriate and is used responsibly. Many authors have different opinions on this subject, so we suggest you research multiple sources.
We recommend doing a patch test before using an essential oil for the first time. Do not use essential oils on sensitive areas of the skin and keep away from eyes. If any negative reaction occurs, DO NOT RINSE WITH WATER, but rather dilute the area immediately by applying any vegetable oil /carrier oil (coconut, olive oil, etc) to the affected area.
*Though we have provided the aforementioned precautions, they may not be comprehensive and therefore it is each individuals responsibility to research any oils they choose to use. Optimum Health Vitamins ( owned and operated as part of Optimum Health Choices Inc. and/or Optimum Naturals Inc. ) is not responsible for any adverse reactions that may be experienced by using these essential oils.
The information contained on this website is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your doctor or another qualified healthcare practitioner. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat any disease or prescribe medication. This information has not been evaluated by Health Canada.
100% pure Ocimum basilicum ct linalool essential oil.
INCI: Ocimum Basilicum Oil