- Qualities: Stimulating, penetrating, refreshing
- Aroma: Minty, warm, herbaceous
- Perfume note: Top
- Origin: India
- Cultivation Method: Organic, steam-distilled
Main Constituents: Carvone, Limonene, Beta-Myrcene, 1,8-Cineole, 3-Octanol, Caryophyllene
Plant Part: Leaves and Stems
Processing Method: Steam Distilled
Description / Colour / Consistency: A thin, clear, colourless to pale yellow liquid
Aromatic Summary / Note / Strength of Aroma: A top note with a medium aroma, it has a characteristic scent that is sweeter than the minty aroma of peppermint.
Blends With: Basil, Bergamot, Cajeput, Eucalyptus, Ginger, Grapefruit, Lavender, Lemon, Lemongrass, Linden, Marjoram, Niaouli, Orange, Peppermint, Petitgrain, Pine, Rosemary, Tangerine, Thyme
Health Canada Guidelines
Recommended use or purpose:
• Used in aromatherapy as a carminative/antispasmodic for symptomatic relief of digestive
• Used in aromatherapy as a nervine/calmative.
• Used in aromatherapy to help relieve colds/cough.
• Used in aromatherapy to help relieve headache.
Directions of use
• Not for oral use.
• Avoid contact with eyes and mucous membranes; if this happens, rinse thoroughly with
• Do not use essential oils undiluted.
• For baths: Add 5-25 drops of undiluted essential oil with the same amount of shampoo
or liquid soap before adding it to the bath. Mix the water gently. For maximum benefit,
remain in the bath for 10 minutes. Use 2 drops of undiluted essential oil the first time and
increase by 1 drop per bath up to a maximum of 8 drops, once daily
• For direct inhalation: Apply 5-10 drops of undiluted essential oil to a handkerchief/tissue
and inhale occasionally, up to 3 times per day
• For steam inhalation: Add 5-25 drops of undiluted essential oil to a bowl of steaming
water/facial steamer. Inhale slowly and deeply for 5 to 10 minutes, up to 3 times per day
• For compresses: Add 25 drops of undiluted essential oil to 500 ml of warm water in a
bottle. Mix by shaking the bottle and immediately soak the compress. Squeeze lightly,
apply the compress to the skin, and cover with clothes and/or towelling. Leave for 2 to 4
hours, up to 3 times per day
Duration of Use:
For occasional use only
Cautions and Warnings:
• Avoid exposure of applied area(s) to the sun.
• Do not expose the applied area(s) to the sun for 24 to 48 hours after application.
• If accidental ingestion occurs, seek urgent medical attention or contact a Poison Control
• If symptoms persist or worsen, consult a health care practitioner.
• If you have epilepsy or asthma, consult a health care practitioner prior to use.
• Keep out of reach of children.
• If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, do not use this product.
• If you have broken, irritated, or sensitive skin, do not use this product.
Known Adverse Reactions:
If you experience nausea, dizziness, headache or an allergic reaction, discontinue use.
Recommended Storage Conditions:
• Child-resistant packaging/containers should be used
• Store in airtight, light-resistant container at room temperature
Specific Oil Precautions: Considered slightly more toxic than peppermint. Avoid in pregnancy & with babies & infants. Low risk for skin sensitization & mucous membrane irritation.
*Though we have provided the aforementioned precautions, they may not be comprehensive and therefore it is each individuals responsibility to research any oils they choose to use. Optimum Health Vitamins ( owned and operated as part of Optimum Health Choices Inc. &/or Optimum Naturals Inc. ) is not responsible for any adverse reactions that may be experienced by using these essential oils.
The information contained on this website is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your doctor or another qualified healthcare practitioner. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat any disease or prescribe medication. This information has not been evaluated by Health Canada.
Ingredients: 100% Mentha spicata Oil
INCI: Mentha Spicata Herb Oil
General Essential Oil Use
Essential oils are powerful plant essences that can be used in many ways. From massage oils to room sprays, to skincare to aromatherapeutic blends, these oils are as versatile as they are diverse. When using essential oils by breathing/inhaling the aromas, they are normally used at full strength. Yet when applying them directly on the skin, the large majority of them MUST be diluted. Because essential oils are so powerful, we do not recommend using them internally.
Essential oils are also the basis of natural perfumery and can be used to make aromatic, bespoke blends for every individual who wishes to embark into the world of natural essences.
Storage: Always keep tightly sealed in a cool, dark place. Heat, oxygen, and light degrade the product.
General Precautions: Keep out of reach of children. Avoid contact with eyes. In general, when using essential oils, use caution when dealing with epilepsy & asthma. We highly recommend not using essential oils when pregnant unless under the care of a health care professional trained in the medicinal uses of essential oils.
General Usage: Please avoid the use of essential oils with babies; hydrosols are an alternative botanical product. If you choose to use essential oils with children (though often not recommended), ensure each oil is age appropriate and is used responsibly. Many authors have different opinions on this subject, so we suggest you research multiple sources.
We recommend doing a patch test before using an essential oil for the first time. Do not use essential oils on sensitive areas of the skin & keep away from eyes. If any negative reaction occurs, DO NOT RINSE WITH WATER, but rather dilute the area immediately by applying any vegetable oil /carrier oil (coconut, olive oil, etc) to the affected area.
*Though we have provided the aforementioned research findings, they are not comprehensive and therefore it is each individuals responsibility to research any oils they choose to use. Optimum Health Vitamins (owned and operated as part of Optimum Health Choices Inc. &/or Optimum Naturals Inc. ) is not responsible for any adverse reactions that may be experienced by using these essential oils.
The information contained on this website is provided for informational purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the advice provided by your doctor or another qualified healthcare practitioner. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat any disease or prescribe medication. Information that has not otherwise been specified has not been evaluated by Health Canada.