Herbal Honey is the sweetest homemade gift. Aside from a lovely treat, raw honey boasts a number of healthful virtues. During the summer months, we grow the flowers and herbs that bees love. Our gardens keep them busy pollinating and tending to their hives.
The resulting honey is paired with the herbs that the bees helped us to bloom, and we enjoy our Herbal Honey as a warming treat and winter remedy.
Raw honey is an emollient, meaning it has the wonderful quality of softening skin. It is considered a demulcent and is often used in natural cough syrups, because it forms a soothing film over places of irritation (such as in the case of sore throats or coughs) and reduces irritation. It aids in digestion to its very mild laxative qualities (1).
It is a great natural sweetener, and it boosts our energy levels! While honey on its own is beautifully potent, the infusion of medicinal herbs in honey offers a simple yet potent combination.
It has a variety of uses and a long shelf life.
This holiday season, we marry the wonderful flavours of organic herbs and spices with ethically-handled natural honey into a most delicious medicinal concoction!
Our Herbal Honey boasts the wellness properties of multiple organic herbs and natural flavourings. Each ingredient works individually and in tandem to boost the body’s natural immune response.
Best of all, they are absolutely delicious and can be taken supplementally every day!
This blend includes organic cinnamon, fennel, astragalus, and more. The flavour is warm, spicy, invigorating, and boosts the body’s response to seasonal sniffles. Medicine Flower natural flavouring oil is a highly potent edible oil that is usable in countless places around the home and kitchen.
Give your Herbal Honey away as a thoughtful gift, or keep in the home for you and your loved ones. It isn’t just medicinal: use in cooking, baking, as a salad dressing, or add to carbonated water for a sweet, natural cordial.
Our Herbal Honey is a tasty, multi-purpose winter remedy that pairs the goodness of whole foods with the wellness of nature’s medicinal herbs.
Enjoy our recipe for DIY Herbal Honey
Makes: 1 250 mL glass jar
- 1 cup Raw Honey
- 2 tbsp (12g) Cinnamon, powdered
- 2 tsp (4g) Ginger, powdered
- 1 tsp (2g) Astragalus, powdered
- 1 tsp (2g) Fennel, powdered
- 1 tsp (2g) Orange Peel, powdered
- Place the honey into a sterilized jar or measuring cup and place into a double boiler over low heat.
- Gently heat for fifteen minutes or until honey is warm and easy to mix, do not overheat honey.
- In a small mixing bowl add the cinnamon, ginger, astragalus, fennel and orange peel and mix well.
- Add the herbal mix into the warm honey and mix until well blended. If using the oil of oregano add and mix well.
- Pour into a glass jar using a spatula, seal the jar, label and store for approximately two weeks for the flavours to meld together before enjoying.
- Add 1 tsp of the All in One Herbal Honey to 250ml hot water, stir and enjoy.
- Helping with digestion after heavy meals, calming the respiratory and aiding the immune system, this honey can also be enjoyed added to foods like hot porridge, salad dressing and elixirs.
Resource: Green, James. “Syrups, Honeys, Oxymels, and Electuaries.” The Herbal Medicine Maker’s Handbook: A Home Manual. Crossing Press. 2000. Pp. 244.